Seminar “Theories in Social Pharmacy” in Kuopio on January 11-12, 2024
In Nordic POP collaboration with the University of Eastern Finland and the University of Uppsala, we are organizing a seminar “Theories in Social Pharmacy”. The seminar will be held in Kuopio, Finland 11.1–12.1.2024.
This seminar is organized as a Nordic POP action, thus, participants from all the Nordic countries involved in this network are warmly welcome to participate in the seminar in Kuopio. Please note that you may apply for Nordic POP travel funding from your own University. Ask from the Nordic POP coordinator in your own University: https://nordicpop.ku.dk/management/principle-investigators/
Aim of the seminar:
- understand how theories can be utilized in social pharmacy research,
- understand the difference between formal and substantial theories,
- explore how a theory can be applied in your own research,
- increase the knowledge of specific theories in social pharmacy research.
PhD students, teachers and researchers interested in utilizing theories in social pharmacy research, Master’s Students in social pharmacy
There will be required pre-reading for the participants attending the seminar (approximately 3 hours of reading). The registered participants will be informed of the required reading.
If you want to apply for credits (1 ECTS) of this seminar, you need to 1) read the pre-reading, 2) actively participate at the whole seminar, and 3) do a short assignment instructed and evaluated by Sofia. Please, contact your own university beforehand and make sure that the seminar is applicable for your studies and that you know the requirements from your own University regarding ECTS. You are responsible for handling the credits to be officially accounted for your studies with your own University.
- Practicalities: Katri Hämeen-Anttila, professor of social pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, University of Eastern Finland (email@example.com)
- Course content: Sofia Kälvemark-Sporrong, professor of social pharmacy, University of Uppsala (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Attending the seminar requires pre-registration.
Please, register here before 17th December 2023:
- 11–12 Lunch at the University
- 12–15 Introduction of the seminar and presentations of participants
- Lecture: Theories in social pharmacy research
- 15–16 Participants expectations
- Instructions and starting the group work
- 16.00 End of Day 1
- 18.00 Dinner (Kuopio city center, the restaurant will be informed to the registered participants)
- 9–11.00 Short introduction: Sociological theories
- Group work continues
- 11–12.00 Presentations of group works
- 12–13.00 Lunch at the University
- 13–14.00 Lecture: Going from a quantitative (post)-positivism paradigm to hermeneutics
- 14.00 Coffee break
- 14.00–16.00 Discussion: How could you use theory in your research – and what theory? Lessons learned and evaluation of the seminar
- Instructions: for the post-assignment for those who want to have credits for the seminar
- 16.00 End of Day 2 and the seminar